machine learning scientist in SequeL team at Inria
machine learning, minimal feedback, online/sequential learning, graph-based methods, semi-supervised learning
News: new Brownian motion optimization accepted to NIPS 2018!
See you in Montréal!
News: new I am giving an invited talk on September 10-13th, 2018 at International Workshop on Optimization and Machine Learning at CIMI, Toulouse.
News: new A paper on optimistic optimization accepted to EWRL 2018.
News: new A paper on scattering for deep learning accepted to ECCV 2018.
News: new Starting October 1st, 2018, I will be teaching a graduate course on Graphs in Machine Learning in MVA Master at ENS Paris-Saclay!
News: A paper on distributed graph sparsification accepted to ICML 2018. See you in Stockholm!
News: A bandit paper on best of both worlds accepted to COLT 2018. See you in Stockholm!
News: Received Inria award for scientific excellence for 2018 - 2021: Prime d'excellence scientifique
News: Congrats to Daniele Calandriello for winning the prize for the Best AI Thesis from France in 2018. inriaCP inriaCP cnrs lille1 actu lavoixdunord newstank
News: I am serving as an area chair for NIPS 2018.
News: Call for a PhD student.
News: I am co-organizing CNRS Summer school on Networks, Graphs, and Machine Learning (RESCOM 2018) in Porquerolles, June 18-22, 2018.
News: I give an invited talk for Workshop on Graph Learning, LINCS, Paris; on May 14th, 2018, LINCS, Paris
News: I give an invited talk at Journée Big data, Polytech'Lille on March 22nd, 2018, in Lille.
News: Adobe research highlights our work on online influence maximization presented at NIPS 2017.
News: I give an invited talk for GDR ISIS on February 8th, 2018 at Télécom ParisTech.
News: I give an invited talk on January 7th, 2018 at MIST 2018.
News: Daniele Calandriello defended his thesis on December 18th, 2017.
News: I give a talk on November 9th, 2017 at Plateau Inria Euratechnologies.
News: Two papers accepted to NIPS 2017. See you in California!
News: I give a talk on Sep 19th, 2017 at DeepMind, London.
News: Starting October 2rd, 2017, I will be teaching a graduate course on Graphs in Machine Learning in MVA Master at ENS Paris-Saclay!
News: Équipe associeé Nord-Europeénne accepted to work with Alexandra Carpentier on Adaptive allocation of resources for recommender systems.
News: I give a talk on September 18th, 2017 at Decision Theory and Network Science: Methods and Applications, Lancaster, UK (STOR-i 2017)
News: I give a talk on July 11th, 2017 at ICML 2017 workshop on Picky Learners
News: Congrats to Guillaume and Daniele for their travel grants to ICML 2017.
News: Two papers accepted to ICML 2017. See you in Australia!
News: I give a talk on June 28th, 2017 for L’Institut de Mathématiques de Toulouse.
News: I give a talk on June 14th, 2017 at Journées Scientifiques Inria 2017 in Nice, France.
News: I give a popularization talk on "Comment maximiser la détection des influenceurs sur les réseaux sociaux", May 30th, 2017 at Inria Lille - 13:45.
News: I give a talk on March 22nd, 2017 at Universität Potsdam at Amazon in Berlin.
News: Spectral Bandits accepted for publication to JMLR.
News: Congrats to Daniele for receiving a travel grants to AISTATS 2017.
News: Two papers accepted to AISTATS 2017. See you in Florida!
News: I give an invited talk on December 21st, 2016 at Textkernel talks series in Amsterdam.
News: Starting October 3rd, 2016, I will be teaching a graduate course on Graphs in Machine Learning in MVA Master at ENS Paris-Saclay!
News: I gave an invited talk on September 22nd, 2016 at Theoretical Computer Science seminar in Bratislava.
News: My habilitation thesis, Bandits on graphs and structures, is now online.
News: TrailBlazer paper on sample-efficient Monte-Carlo planning accepted as oral presentation to NIPS 2016!
News: I gave an invited talk on September 15-19th, 2016 at Information technologies - Applications and Theory 2016 conference at High Tatras, Slovakia.
News: I gave an invited talk on June 16th, 2016 at Graph-based Learning and Graph Mining in Lille.
News: On June 15th, 15h30 at ENS Paris-Saclay, I defended my HdR thesis on Bandits on Graphs and Structures!, HdR Committee: Nicolas Vayatis, Gábor Lugosi, Aurélien Garivier, Vianney Perchet, Nicolò Cesa-Bianchi, Mark Herbster, Rémi Munos
News: One paper accepted to ICML 2016 and two to UAI 2016. See you in NYC!
News: I gave an invited talk on May 13th, 2016 at Network Science Thematic Semester, at ENS Lyon
News: Bayesian policy gradient and actor-critic algorithms accepted to JMLR.
News: Two graph bandit papers accepted to AISTATS 2016!
News: I gave an invited talk at Multi-armed Bandit Workshop in Lancaster, UK.
News: Starting September 28th, 2015, I will be teaching a graduate course on Graphs in Machine Learning in MVA Master at ENS Paris-Saclay!
News: Polymatroid Bandits accepted for publication to JMLR.
News: Parallel Optimistic Optimization paper accepted to NIPS 2015!
News: I became a reelected member of Inria Evaluation Committee for 2015-2019.
News: Two bandit papers accepted to ICML 2015 in Lille, France.
News: Inria's press interview with N. Vayatis and myself about MVA's Graphs in ML: french, english.
News: MESSI (MaxEnt SSIRL) paper accepted to IJCAI 2015 in Argentina.
News: Intel advertising face recognition.
News: EduBand, associated team project with Carnegie Mellon, accepted for 2015 - 2018 (with A. Lazaric and E. Brunskill)
News: Starting in January 2015, I will be teaching a graduate course on Graphs in Machine Learning in MVA Master at ENS Paris-Saclay!
News: Three papers on practical bandit settings accepted to NIPS 2014!
News: SequeL is hosting ICML 2015! Please submit a paper and come to Lille!
News: Extra-Learn (ANR) project accepted for 2014 - 2017 (PI: A. Lazaric)
News: Ford and Intel Mobii project using Face Recognition at engadget.com.
News: Ford prototype using Face Recognition at intel.com.
News: I was elected to be a member of Inria Evaluation Committee for 2014-2015.
News: Two Spectral Bandit papers accepted to ICML 2014 and AAAI 2014!
News: I organized a plenary Inria talk by: Jennifer Healey on Transportation Futures: Gossiping Cars and Chatty Cities (50 attendees).
News: Received Inria award for scientific excellence for 2014 - 2017: Prime d'excellence scientifique
News: Bandits attack function optimization paper accepted to CEC 2014.
News: Call for a PhD student.
News: We established an Erasmus agreement between École Centrale, Lille and Comenius University, Bratislava for Computer Science.
News: I will become CR1, an experienced junior scientist, in 2014.
News: October 2013: INTEL/Inria collaboration: Signed INTEL funded project on Internet of Things research.
News: Recorded talk from ICML 2013 on StoSOO is online.
News: Kernelised contentextual bandits paper accepted to UAI 2013, see you in Bellevue, WA!
News: Inria publishes an article about our work at INTEL on Face Recognition
News: StoSOO paper accepted to ICML 2013! Check back soon for the paper and the code.
News: Call for a PhD student.
News: I am on the organizing committee of JFPDA 2013.
News: FG 2013 paper accepted. See you in April in Shanghai!
News: Our article was accepted to the JMLR post-proceedings of EWRL 2012.
News: I changed my office to "Bureau A05."
News: I will be giving talk at Large-Scale Online Learning and Decision-Making Workshop in Windsor, UK.
News: An article accepted to JBI 2012.
News: I became a junior researcher at Inria Lille - Nord Europe with SequeL team.
News: I will be visiting Inria Sophia-Antipolis in July 12-18.
News: I will be at ICML and EWRL 2012 in Edinburgh in July 2012.
News: EWRL 2012 paper accepted for presentation.
News: I will be the opening speaker at Slovak Oxford Science 2012.
News: An article accepted to International Journal of Dentistry.
News: ICDM 2011 paper accepted.
News: I received PhD in Machine Learning from University of Pittsburgh.
News: I submitted the final version of my dissertation on August 18th, 2011.
News: I defended my dissertation on August 1st, 2011.
News: I will be giving talk at Microsoft Research on July 6th, 10:30am in Research Room A
News: I will be at ICML from June 24th till July 2nd.
News: ICML 2011 - Global paper accepted: Conditional Anomaly Detection Using Soft Harmonic Functions: An Application to Clinical Alerting
News: I received the award for the Runner-Up for Best Reasearch Poster, Elevator Pitch and Scavenger Hunt Award on CS Day, 03/24/2011
News: I won the Computer Science Research Competition 2011.
News: Paper accepted to the Grad Expo Conference, 02/07/2011
News: I passed my proposal defense on December 20th, 2010, 2:30pm.
News: I received Academic Entrepreneurship Certificate.
News: My thesis committee: Miloš Hauskrecht, Liz Marai, Diane Litman, John Lafferty(CMU)
News: Homer Warner Best Paper Award at AMIA 2010.
News: AMIA 2010 paper accepted.
News: Google Best Paper Award at OLCV - CVPR 2010.
News: UAI 2010 paper accepted.
News: I will be in Texas, USA from May 2nf until May 10th on tour with Pitt Men's Glee Club.
News: Intel Labs Internship during Summer 2010
News: I am currently an intern at Intel Research, Santa Clara, CA.
News: 2008 awards updated: mellon, research competition, poster 1 and poster 2
BioMichal is a junior scientist in SequeL team at Inria Lille - Nord Europe, France, lead by Philippe Preux and Rémi Munos. He also teaches the course Graphs in Machine Learning at l'ENS Paris-Saclay. Michal is primarily interested in designing algorithms that would require as little human supervision as possible. This means 1) reducing the “intelligence” that humans need to input into the system and 2) minimising the data that humans need spend inspecting, classifying, or “tuning” the algorithms. Another important feature of machine learning algorithms should be the ability to adapt to changing environments. That is why he is working in domains that are able to deal with minimal feedback, such as bandit algorithms, semi-supervised learning, and anomaly detection. Most recently he has worked on sequential algorithms with structured decisions where exploiting the structure can lead to provably faster learning. In the past the common thread of Michal's work has been adaptive graph-based learning and its application to the real world applications such as recommender systems, medical error detection, and face recognition. His industrial collaborators include Adobe, Intel, Technicolor, and Microsoft Research. He received his PhD in 2011 from University of Pittsburgh under the supervision of Miloš Hauskrecht and after was a postdoc of Rémi Munos.
- CompLACS (EU FP7) - COMposing Learning for Artificial Cognitive Systems, 2011 - 2015 (with J. Shawe-Taylor)
- DELTA (EU CHIST-ERA) - PC -
Dynamically Evolving Long-Term Autonomy, 2018 - 2021 (with A. Jonsson)
- BoB (ANR) - Bayesian statistics for expensive models and tall data, 2016 - 2020 (with R. Bardenet)
- LeLivreScolaire.fr - Sequential Learning for Educational Systems, 2017-2012 (PI)
- Inria/CWI – Sequential prediction & Understanding Deep RL, postdoc funding (PC, 2016-2018)
- Extra-Learn (ANR) - PI - EXtraction and TRAnsfer of knowledge in reinforcement LEARNing, 2014 - 2018 (with A. Lazaric)
- EduBand - coPI - Educational Bandits project with Carnegie Mellon, 2015 - 2018 (with A. Lazaric and E. Brunskill)
- Allocate - PI - Adaptive allocation of resources for recommender systems with U. Potsdam, 2017 - 2019 (with A. Carpentier)
- INTEL/Inria - PI - Algorithmic Determination of IoT Edge Analytics Requirements, 2013 - 2014
Students and postdocs
- Guillaume Gautier, 2017 - 2020, PhD student, with Rémi Bardenet
- Pierre Perrault, 2017 - 2020, PhD student, with Vianney Perchet
- Julien Seznec, 2017 - 2020, PhD student, with Alessandro Lazaric and Jonathan Banon
- Xuedong Shang, 2017 - 2020, PhD student, with Emilie Kaufmann
- Omar Darwiche Domingues, 2018 - 2021, PhD student, with Emilie Kaufmann
- Édouard Oyallon, 2017 - 2018, postdoc ↝ École Centrale de Paris
- Tomáš Kocák, 2013 - 2016, PhD student, with Rémi Munos
- Daniele Calandriello, 2014 - 2017, PhD student, AFIA, 1st prize, with Alessandro Lazaric ↝ IIT
- Jean-Bastien Grill, 2014 - 2018, PhD student, with Rémi Munos ↝ DeepMind
- Axel Elaldi, 2017-2018, master student, École Centrale de Lille
- Xuedong Shang, 2017, master student, ENS Rennes, with Emilie Kaufmann ↝ Inria
- Guillaume Gautier, 2016, master student, École Normale Supérieure, Paris-Saclay, with Rémi Bardenet ↝ Inria/CNRS
- Andrea Locatelli, 2015-2016, ENSAM/ENS Paris-Saclay, with Alexandra Carpentier ↝ Universität Potsdam
- Souhail Toumdi, 2015 - 2016, master student, École Centrale de Lille, with Rémi Bardenet ↝ ENS Paris-Saclay/MVA
- Akram Erraqabi, 2015, master student, École Polytechnique, Paris ↝ Université de Montréal
- Mastane Achab, 2015, master student, École Polytechnique, Paris, with G. Neu ↝ l'ENS Paris-Saclay ↝ Télécom ParisTech
- Jean-Bastien Grill, 2014, master student, École Normale Supérieure, Paris, with Rémi Munos ↝ Inria
- Alexandre Dubus, 2012-2013, master student, Université Lille1 - Sciences et Technologies ↝ Inria
- Karim Jedda, 2012-2013, master student, École Centrale de Lille ↝ ProSiebenSat.1
- Alexis Wehrli, 2012-2013, master student, École Centrale de Lille ↝ ERDF
- Inria Lille - Nord Europe, equipe SequeL (bureau: A05)
- Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne
- 40 avenue Halley
- 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq, France
- office phone: +33 3 59 57 7801